Terminology
USDA Zone Map

Connect
About Staff
Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Tell-A-Friend
Web Links

Follow us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
Bookmark and Share
UGN Security
VNC Web Design
The GoNix Initiative
Subscribe to our mailing list to recieve any site update notices immediately!

First Name:

Last Name:

EMail Address:

Advanced
  Forums
Topic Options
#16 - 08/14/05 04:33 PM James' Fried Cube Steak & Gravy
Gremelin Offline

El Pesidente

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Notes: This is definitely one of my specialties; I always do it by hand with absolutely no recipe but I promised Mihai (one of our chief designers) that I'd teach him how to cook (hence all the posts by me)...

We had to take a few stabs at measurements but I think I've gotten there...

Ingredients:
  • 2c Flower (I always like self rising)
  • 1T Granulated Garlic
  • 1T Granulated Onion
  • 1/2t Seasoning Salt
  • 2T Bread Crums (fine, unseasoned)
  • 1t Pepper (to taste, yours will vary)
  • 1/4t Salt (to taste, yours will vary)
  • Vegetable Oil
  • 8 Pieces of Cube Steak (you'll have spare mix to do more if desired)

Instructions for the Steak:
  • Mix all of your dry ingredients well in a large bowl, you shouldn't be able to see any color difference when you're done (as most ingredients are a white/yellow they will blend easily). You will end up with extra mixture, don't worry, what do you think the gravy is made of?
  • Tenderize your steak in your favorite fashion (I prefer meat tenderizer (powder) and a large mallot, methods vary)
  • Place a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a large skillet and heat to medium (4-5)
  • Coat your steak in the bread/flower mixture, remember there is a lot of mixture so try to bread your steak as much as possible.
  • Place your coated pieces of steak (2-3 at a time) into the oiled pan, you will want to keep the pan oiled (1-2t) as needed (when the pan starts to dry) to ensure your meat cooks properly; after all, you do not want to burn the meat.
  • You'll want to cook the meat until it is a golden brown (3-5 minutes per side, when in doubt it can go another couple of minutes).
  • When steak is done remove it from the oil and place on a spare plate, you're going to likely want to place a few pieces of paper towel down so that it can absorb some of the excess oil which is no doubt still on your meat
  • Make sure to remove any drippings (loose flower/meat) from the oil as it will burn and make your drippings ultimately worthless.

Instructions for Gravy:
  • To 1/4 cup of oil (in your pan we used for the meat) add 1/2 cup of your bread/flower mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon; mixture should be very thick but all flower should be wet.
  • Add 1/4t Pepper and 1/4t Salt to taste (when in doubt, you've used enough) and again mix with wooden spoon.
  • Wisk in 2 cups of 2% milk (you can use any variety, I just prefer 2%).
  • You'll want to continuously wisk your mixture on 4-5 until it's warm then lower heat to 3.
  • Wisk until you've reached your desired thickness; if the gravy is too thick you can add in 1/4 cups of milk until you reach your desired thickness.
  • Sauce will thicken as it stands
  • Discard any unused flower/bread mixture as you just had raw meat in it it's not sanitary to keep or reuse.

Comments and Suggestions:
  • If you'd like to use your drippings for the gravy (and you removed them as stated before they where to burn) you can do so just after you've added the first portion of milk.
  • I like to serve this to my family with a side of Scalloped Potatoes and some Biscuits or Rolls (and perhaps some steamed broccoli).

#17 - 08/16/05 07:23 AM Re: James' Fried Cube Steak & Gravy
Sladen Offline

Loc: Brisbane (or the local pub)
tried it.

awesome recipe!
i layed off the gravy (dnt particularly like gravy all that much) and tried it with a bit of salsa and fresh baked bread.

kinda like a bite for guests.

im dying to try it with lamb :p

#18 - 08/16/05 02:48 PM Re: James' Fried Cube Steak & Gravy
Gremelin Offline

El Pesidente

Loc: Portland, OR; USA
Glad you like it! My mom always complains of too much salt ... I love it myself; perfect ammount of spices ...

But I refuse to eat it without Gravy, I'm a gravy fanatic lol... Everything needs a sauce (or gravy) ...