Notes:
This is definitely one of my specialties and is a meal in itself, but makes one of the best side dishes to any meal.

Ingredients:
  • 3 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, Thinly Sliced
  • 1/4 Cup Butter, Divided
  • 4 Cups Heavy Cream
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 4 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
  • 8 Slices Provolone Cheese
  • 1 Cup Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F. Grease a 1 1/2 quart or larger casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.
  • Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of the casserole dish. Dot with half of the butter cut or pinched into small pieces. Arrange half of the garlic slices over the potatoes, then pour half of the heavy cream over. Sprinkle one cup of Cheddar cheese over the layer, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering of potatoes, garlic, cream and Cheddar cheese, then top with the slices of provolone cheese. Season again with salt and pepper.
  • Bake for 1/2 hour in the preheated oven, then sprinkle the Parmesan or Romano cheese over the top. This will create a semi-hard cheese crust. Continue baking uncovered for another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork.

Additions and Substitutions:
  • I've had good experiences with adding some chopped ham.
  • I've heard good things with adding in some mushrooms to the pre-cooked recipe.
  • To speed up cooking time you can boil the potatoes ahead of time (medium-high heat for about 20-30 minutes).
  • This recipe is extremely versatile, you can add cheese to the recipe dependant on what you have on hand; additionally I've had great experiences with just buying a couple packages of shredded cheeses that you can find in most stores; I've seen 5, 6, or even 7 cheese packages. You'll still want to have Parmesan on hand however for the topping (I prefer it fresh).